Re: Readability - CD/web site

Subject: Re: Readability - CD/web site
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:32:36 +1000

Nelson, Julie wrote:

Do you know of any readability studies available on the web that
reference what background color/font color/font size & type is easiest
to read on a CD or web site. Our long term goal is to include a good
deal of this content on our intranet site, so it would be helpful if the
CD & web site had a similar layout. I'm researching this on Google, but
I thought I'd check here too. I'm guessing I could find something on
Jakob Nielsen's site.

Here is what looks like a pretty thorough study:
http://web.umr.edu/~rhall/commentary/color_readability.htm
called "Color Combinations and Readability." It cites
other studies and claims that the effects of colors on
readability are not consistent. It provides a w3c algorithm
for differences in background brightness and text.

I found another study at http://www.aprompt.ca/WebPageColors.html
called "Testing the Readability of Web Page Colors."

My Google search terms were "color readability web site"
and I got quite a few hits.

-- Janice