RE: doc release numbering

Subject: RE: doc release numbering
From: "Patterson, Jan" <Jan -dot- Patterson -at- esph -dot- com>
To: <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 13:08:01 -0400

Paul --

Does the document itself have a number? Sometimes companies have P/N
(product numbers) that go on a manual for a product, or communications
departments have their own numbering scheme for their communications
products. I'm guessing that's not the case here; otherwise, there would
probably be a convention for revision numbers, such as P/N 22222/1,
where /1 is the revision number.

An alternative is to use an edition number, version number, or revision
number on the document. Your second iteration of the doc could be
Edition 2 or Revision 1. You can track the edition/revision numbers and
dates on the copyright page.

jan.

Jan E. Patterson
Senior Technical Writer