Re: Green Field !

Subject: Re: Green Field !
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Graham Ford <gford816 -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 06:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

> I have started a new contract where everything is to be done.
> Which is great! I need to produce the manuals and also recommend

Actually...it's NOT great. The problem of walking into a place where
everything needs to be done now has one end result...failure.

1) There is no upside...if you do it, well, you were supposed to. If
you don't, you've not met expectations.

2) You've got your hands in so many pies at once that you can't think
about one or two things at a time...everything and everyone is
pulling you in every direction.

You need to figure out a way to put together some kind of plan that
let's management know when to expect what...if you don't, they'll
expect it all at the same time.

I understand your predicament. Before being where I am now (going on
three weeks), I've been the sole writer for most of the last 15
years, almost always in an environment where nothing existed
beforehand.

> I feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car at the
> moment.

You know what happens to that rabbit.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer