Re: Misc: New phishing scam trick

Subject: Re: Misc: New phishing scam trick
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:04:11 -0700 (PDT)

Janie Gelb wrote:>
> Actually, the safest thing to do is not to pay attention
> at all, no matter how legitimate the mail looks, unless the
> email has your specific customer name as the addressee (e.g.,
> "Dear Geoff Hart" or "Attention: Janice Gelb"). Online
> contacts that are legitimate always put the customer name
> in the message; phishers obviously can't.

Both my wife and I have had phishing emails sent to us with our full
correct names in the addressee lines, so that is not a mark of legitimacy.
Those "phishermen/women" are pretty darn smart. Geoff is right...if you
don't know who the sender is, don't click on it-delete it. If it's from
eBay or PayPal, and you have an eBay or PayPay account, send the email to
spoof@(ebay.com or paypay.com) and they will tell you if it's legit or
not. If you don't have an eBay or PayPal account, delete it. If it's
from your bank, call them about the email. If it's from a bank that you
don't use, delete it. Become friends with your delete key. You may loose
an occassional valid email, but you won't be a victum of ID theft.

Al