Re: Non-TW supervisor

Subject: Re: Non-TW supervisor
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:19:20 -0600

I've had both.

My current direct manager was a freelance writer, and he understands
that many writers need nothing more than a free leash to be able to
get their job done.

In the past, I have had four managers that were not tech writers. Two,
an editor and an HR manager, where great. They understood so little of
what was going on that they would look at me with glazed over eyes and
say, "Great!!! Good job!!!" The other two were driven by the
misconceptions of archaic grammar rules and academia. One of those was
willing to try new things and learn more about the field. The other
was so rigid that "micro manager" doesn't even begin to describe her.
Fortunately, I was only under her for a year before I convinced upper
management that the tech writing group should be under a
professionally trained writer/editor.

Dave