RE: Non-TW supervisor

Subject: RE: Non-TW supervisor
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:25:25 -0600

On Wednesday, May 10, 2006, Laurel Hickey wrote:

> Inexperienced, yes. Untrained, hopefully not.... Your orientation
> should have covered these...

Training? Orientation? Now there's an interesting concept. Does
"Here's the keys to the filing cabinet" count? :)

While I'm sure there must be some management seminars that are
useful, I have found training of that type mostly bunk. At a former
job, I went to quite a few "Management Skills for Women", "Dealing
with Conflict in the Workplace", etc. type of workshops -- all of which
were a nice break from work but not really worth the time. Well,
wait. I did find out that I am a type "C" personality -- analytical,
logical, and systematic <surprise surprise> -- and I learned not to kill
the goose that produces the golden eggs ;)

Really, I think much of *personnel* management (as opposed to
project management, which I also do and in which I am also not
trained...) is common sense and behaving in a reasonable and
rational manner. If someone is coming in late? Talk to them about it
and document the discussion. If someone is not meeting deadlines?
Talk to them about it and document the discussion. If someone is
coming in drunk? Send them home immediately, talk with your
superiors regarding appropriate courses of action, and document it.
Talk and document. Talk and document. When in doubt, speak to
your boss or your boss's boss. Once again, it's common sense.

If I am a total jerk and lack interpersonal skills to begin with, no
amount of training or workshops is going to change that. When you
are being hired from the outside, it may not be easy for others to
judge your managerial skills. However, if you've been at a company
for a few years, they are well aware of your skills (or lack thereof). In
either game, an employer is hedging their bets and taking their
chances.

2 cents,

Dana W.
Inexperienced, Untrained, and Running Amok!

Dana Worley
Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help 2003-2006