Re: Web Front End for PDFs...

Subject: Re: Web Front End for PDFs...
From: "Sanjeev Sarma" <sanjeevsarma -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "rmlogan -at- emdeon -dot- com" <rmlogan -at- emdeon -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:13:28 +0530

Hello Robin,

I had come across a conundrum like this sometime back, the approach I
took was as follows :

1. On a CD-ROM, provide a "shell" application, for users, along with a
database to store document references, etc.
2. Provide the documents in a compressed form for extraction to the
user's disk, where the documents are referenced from, via links,
keyword search, full text search, etc.
3. Create an IP online that the shell application talks to for keeping
records current (the way any antivirus does a "liveupdate" of its
virus databases, etc).
4. You can use VB or VC++ or any other tool to create such an
application, and use MS Access to store the databases.
5. Your documents could be html, pdf, doc or any other format you may choose.

Do connect to me if the above is not clear. I will help you to the
extent possible.

Warm Regards
Sanjeev Sarma
OSMOS Multimedia Pvt Ltd
Mumbai, India.

On 5/12/06, rmlogan -at- emdeon -dot- com <rmlogan -at- emdeon -dot- com> wrote:

Hi,

My department manages a large five volume document that is thousands of
pages long. Due to enormous printing costs, there is a push to make this
available to customers via CD. The document is written in Word and converted
to PDF.

Beyond creating a simple table of contents in HTML linking to what would end
up being hundreds of PDFs, are there any other solutions out there? I'm
afraid creating "named destinations" in the PDFs to link to specific pages
is out of the question as they'd have to be recreated every time the PDFs
are recreated which could be too time consuming.

I hate to think this document is just too large to be delivered via CD, but
in its current state, maintenance seems pretty labor intensive.

Thanks for any help you might provide!
Robin

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as sanjeevsarma -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/sanjeevsarma%40gmail.com