RE: FAQs

Subject: RE: FAQs
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Diane Boos" <dianeboos -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:26:47 -0700

Hi!

I wonder if tech writers are, in general, involved with FAQs.

I think that FAQs come from two places: support, and "development"
(engineering/product development/...)

FAQs from support seem to be real questions and answers, but they're
often very simple. I think that they're the questions that support got
tired of answering 100 times a day.

FAQs from development are a glancing attempt to document the product or
service. Sometimes they seem to be answers to questions you never had.

Some companies try to survey the effectiveness of FAQs. I think one of
the best ways is to measure tech support call volumes.

Better than a FAQ would be a knowledge base to which people can easily
add questions and answers.

It still has to have an overall editor.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.