Re: FAQs

Subject: Re: FAQs
From: Lisa Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: Diane Boos <dianeboos -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:26:57 -0500

Diane,
Awhile back, I posted a query on "Documentation by FAQs." At the time, the answers I got here seemed somewhat dismissive of my concerns (which I perhaps didn't explain very well). I was new to an environment where almost all web documentation was in an FAQ format. I've spent the last 18 months working to change that. The reasons? Here are a few:

* They are not purposeful, meaning that they don't address the information needs of the user. Is the user trying to complete a task? Trying to find reference information and learn more?

* They introduce redundancy. I have eliminated virtual reams of paper through restructuring FAQs into topic-based documentation.

* When they are in a single page, they don't allow us to analyze web statistics to find out why people are coming to the site and what information they are looking for.

* Navigation is troublesome. The general categories you mention typically don't work, and they can split related information among different categories. For example, we have categories called "General Information." That's worse than useless to me if I'm looking for something. Also, just the list of questions can be a mile long. If the text of the question is the link, the underlining can reduce readability. If an FAQ is required (and I list some situations below where they may be), then topics should be short and navigation kept simple and specific.

I've discovered that the writers who worked on these FAQs weren't bad writers. They came into an organization that began writing documentation from a developer perspective early in the life of the web (and before that, the Internet). Developers were used to FAQs, and that became the norm. Also, in an organization where writers are scarce, an FAQ format is something that non-writers can find familiar enough to be able to write. The writers also were not in a position to change the norm because of their placement in the organization. We're making changes now.

I spent a lot of time analyzing how FAQs *could* be effective and I came up with a few places where I support their use (despite the "No FAQ" sign on my cube!):

* When an existing system is changing.

* For limited types of information, such as payment options.

* Troubleshooting topics, which are a specialized, symptom-based type of FAQ.

As a customer, I find FAQs frustrating. As a writer, I make very limited use of them. I make sure to explain the transition from FAQs to a more purposeful format when I have the opportunity. So far I've gotten a very positive response, and the change in information structure is dramatically improving the performance of our web site.

Lisa

Diane Boos wrote:

I have just spend many hours weeding through a telecommunication company's web site FAQs. I finally gave up and tried to contact them, which is a whole different story. But it caused me to started thinking about FAQs usefulness.

Many times technical writers produce these FAQs. How often are they really used? Do companies ever check their effectiveness? Anybody have any statistics about how successful FAQ searches are?

When I'm asked to develop FAQs, I try to organize them them into general topic areas, even providing links to the topics to make access easier. What has been your experience with FAQs and user feedback?

Maybe some of your experiences will relieve my frustration.
Diane

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/lisawright%40mail.utexas.edu