Re: Your telephone setup?

Subject: Re: Your telephone setup?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:45:13 -0600

On Tuesday, May 16, 2006, Ray Pichulo wrote:

> A wireless headset operating on infrared or at 900 MHz won't interfere
> with your router. Devices that operate on 2.4 GHz are potential
> problems, but can usually coexist because of the nature of the WiFi
> and Bluetooth protocols.

AFAIK, all IR is line of sight, which would not be practical for a
headset and wandering around the house. The Linksys is likely RF,
so you could go with Bluetooth for your headset. Bluetooth offers a
variety of protocols (one for headsets, one for serial ports, one for
LANS, etc...), so even if you had another Bluetooth device in the
house, as long as it did not use the headset protocol you should be
OK. In fact, even if you did have another Bluetooth device using the
headset protocol, you can typically establish exclusive links between
two Bluetooth devices (which effectively locks out all the other
devices, even though they may be within range).

FWIW, we have a LinkSys router in the house, as well as a couple
of wireless handsets for our phones, and we don't see any
interference.

Regards,

Dana W.

Dana Worley