RE: Restricting PDF copying

Subject: RE: Restricting PDF copying
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:45:22 +0100

> Since your guys are good guys, just add a watermark or footer saying "Do
> not copy this document", assuming you have read/write access to the PDF
> or underlying document.

Another option would be to include on the page footer &/or cover page
something like this:

"The original of this document is available at location XYZ. Any copies
elsewhere should be regarded as uncontrolled and unauthorised."

That way, if somebody has copied the document, and somebody else unwittingly
comes across the copy, they will immediately know where to look to find the
authorised original.

This should for instance easily meet obligations under an ISO 9000 quality
management system regarding controlled copies of key documentation. ISO 9000
doesn't require that uncontrolled copies should never exist, but rather that
the means exists for controlled copies to be readily identified and accessed
by those who need to do so.

Regards
Jonathan West