RE: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (Many Thanks)

Subject: RE: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help? (Many Thanks)
From: "Barbara Vega" <BarbaraV -at- libertyims -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:30:04 -0700

Hello all

I wanted to extend a "catch-all" thank you to everyone who responded and
to those who have yet to respond. That's what I love about this
forum/listserv - I get food for thought all around the issue and can
therefore explore the topic from many angles.

I have to chime in that as I said it does appear our uers use the TOC
and index as well. However, I cannot quantify that numnber - even in
percentages.

We make knowledge management/information management software. Some of
our users are just getting used to the idea of doing away with the file
cabinet andgoing electronic. Perhaps it is those who are "sticky" for
reaching outside the box who are more TOC oriented.

For myself, I am a search box person but I will reiterate - I think we
tech writers and other techies don't count. We are a special group,
which brings me to my own conclusion from reading your posts. I believe
that behavior with respect to the use of the TOC and index is going to
vary with comfortableness with the computer and all things technical,
doncha think? Perhaps we are all right, and we need to look further at
the types of users and software we are talking about.

Barbara Vega

"This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must
not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
message if you are not the intended recipient.

If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (collect)
at (714) 751-6900 and return the original message to us at the above listed address via electronic
mail. We will reimburse you for telephone expenses involved. Thank you."

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl Email Filter
software in conjunction with McAffee virus detection software.