RE: Locating buried documents?

Subject: RE: Locating buried documents?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:52:55 -0400

Nuckols, Kenneth M says:
> Our company recently invested in a SharePoint server, and at this time
> our group is making more use of it than any other department
> or team in
> the company. The way we are doing this is by creating just the kind of
> portals Geoff describes. We have a long-term ongoing project to work
> through the departments and their teams mining documentation from the
> servers, creating lists, and abstracts of documents and then working
> with team leaders to determine what documentation should go on a
> SharePoint site for the team. Within each site we create document
> libraries that break down by function, topic, product, or whatever
> organizational scheme works best for each team, and fill the library
> with the appropriate documents.

Does anybody know of an open-source application that implements
this portion (if not others) of SharePoint's capabilities?

As someone trying more and more to use Linux at work,
I really don't like the idea of getting locked into
yet another aspect of Microsoft licensing death spiral.

Best bet would be something that hides its guts behind
a webbish interface, so that users don't need to be
running any particular operating system.

Kevin