RE: Linguistic Overreaching

Subject: RE: Linguistic Overreaching
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

David Dubin wrote:

In the days of Murrow, Ernie Pile, and even Walter Cronkite, people cared
about what went on and by hearing the truth, they were moved to right
wrongs. Unfortunately, during Cronkite's tenure as a reporter and anchor,
honest politicians who were motivated by patriotism, idealism, and
altruism were replaced by the sort of politicians we have today -of both
parties. As time went by, the parents and grandparents who cared about
things gave way to children and grandchildren who became so apathetic that
they would not even vote, let alone voice their opinions. Perhaps it was
because they did not have to fight for the right to vote or because they
felt that voting and voicing opinions could change very little.

When was the last time your local news reported on our troops in
Afghanistan, the crisis in Darfur, or the plight of thousands of Katrina
victims who still have not received insurance payments? When was the last
time they reported on Tom Cruse, the Da Vinci Code (book or movie), or
equally as newsworthy, what to wear to the beach for summer?

Right on David,

As Ryan Seacrest so aptly put it..."more people voted (for last night's
Idol) than voted for our last President." However, both my kids vote
because I won't allow them not to vote. How does this tie into technical
writing...apathy in one area can bleed into others.

Al