Re: Did I overreact?

Subject: Re: Did I overreact?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Ron Hearn" <RHearn -at- cucbc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:19:26 -0700

There is certainly no reason to be insulted, especially if the
person calling is a recruiter trying to fill a direct-hire position
and not merely someone from a temp agency looking for someone they can buy cheap and sell higher. But it is also
possible to communicate, non-insultingly, that the offer is
so far out of your range that it has crossed the line into absurdity. With a bit of practice, you can actually end up
having a two-way commiseration with the recruiter on the
current rates he/she can offer you that can help build a
relationship. I have two or three recruiters in my address
book with whom I exchange periodic emails even when
neither of us is looking for candidates or positions just to
keep up to date, and all of those began with me turning
down some offer or another from them with more than a
simple "thanks but no thanks, bye."

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Recruiter throws out a number ($24). We throw out an alternative
($50). The recruiter will probably say no...the difference is too
wide. OTOH, maybe ups the number ($30). We either say yes, no, or we
throw out another number ($45). The first time someone says "No,
sorry, bye", the call is over.

Why get insulted?