Re: The black box problem (was Re: Reviewers for localized materials - are they required?)

Subject: Re: The black box problem (was Re: Reviewers for localized materials - are they required?)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:31:52 -0400

Martin Bosworth wrote:

Dick,

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that many teams and
supervisors will demand unreasonable standards of perfection and have
that same "dehumanizing" attitude towards their co-workers as they do
other companies or agencies.

I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but more that the
increasingly atomized and self-centered nature of the workplace
culture has caused us to be almost incapable of developing real team
relationships with each other. Passive-aggressiveness, vicious
backstabbing, and the like are the order of the day.

Or maybe I've just had bad luck with employers. ;)

Martin,

While I don't disagree with your assessment of the current state of in-office relationships, I was on a different point, one involving basic human psychology. If we don't actually see (with our eyes) or hear (with our ears) other human beings working on our account, we seem to presume there's an infallible machine doing the work. Intellectually, we can know that there is not yet such a machine (as in the case of translation), but emotionally we nonetheless believe in its existence (the brochure implied as much even though it didn't say so explicitly).

I think this is hard-wired and so we need to be on guard against it. That's all I was getting at.

Dick