Looking for desktop slideshow

Subject: Looking for desktop slideshow
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:37:14 -0400

Googling reveals several little programs, some free, some not, to cycle
through a folder of photos as my desktop background (Windows XP).

I like the pricetag on free ones, but I don't know which, if any, I can
trust.

I'd prefer to avoid spyware, adware, etc.

I'd also prefer to avoid big honkin' affairs that consume system resources
and do a dozen other functions in addition to just making a nice slow
slideshow for my desktop. Oh, it should support dual-head configuration,
even if it just puts the same picture up on each monitor.

The Plus! Superpack for Windows, which I have, includes an app to create
photo slideshows, but it doesn't seem to have an option to make 'em into the
desktop background.

I tried to work up a script to swap/rename successive photos into the single
filename that's used by the standard Windows background, but that file
doesn't get re-read except when the whole screen needs recreating. Besides,
why re-invent the wheel? :-)

Any suggestions welcomed, especially from those who are using one that they
like.

Techwriting tie-in... um.... ah... that is... well I work better when I'm
relaxed, and a pleasant desktop background helps keep me relaxed. Yeah.
That's it.

Kevin
(back to work, me!)