New question about demos - transition effects?

Subject: New question about demos - transition effects?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, John Bartol <johnbartol -at- shaw -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:34:27 -0400

John Bartol is producing a demo: <<This is to be used as a feature demo for prospective clients rather than a procedural demo for existing customers. Now, the system being shown is character-based and is *not* 'flashy'. The key features of the system lie in the reporting, database management, and other tools. What I'd like to do is make a demo that lets me 'transition' items into the display. For example, if showing a feature that touts inventory tracking/ordering where there is static information on a screen shot, and associated reports (and graphics), I'd like to do something like: - show the screenshot - highlight the key info on the screenshot and display callout text ("Look at the wonderful info :-)") - fade in the report/graphic samples - go on to the next point (either automagically or through keypress on button)>>

Sounds like Macromedia's Flash is exactly what you need. My former employer did a bunch of this stuff, and with a little training, you can accomplish surprisingly powerful results. With a lot of training, the sky's the limit.

<<Overall, I'd like to have a screen that shows thumbnails for each feature as the demo menu - click the appropriate thumbnail, jumps to that demo portion.>>

If you want something bare bones (e.g., you don't have time to learn Flash), try Powerpoint or any of its competitors. Most presentation software allows hyperlinking to specific slides and between files (I know PP does, and assume the competitors now do too), and most software also allows you to perform more transition effects than any reasonable person would want to do. <g> Combine this with transiations between slides and you've got a surprisingly powerful way to produce a demo.

www.geoff-hart.com