Solution to even page footer problem in Word

Subject: Solution to even page footer problem in Word
From: "Ed Marshall" <ed -dot- marshall -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:54:54 -0400

Thanks to all who responded on / off list.

I solved the problem with the following steps:

1. On a hunch, I had saved the .DOC file as .RTF earlier that week. I
remembered that often you can see and access more thangies in RTF format
than in DOC format.

2. Opened the .RTF file, set the view to Normal.

3. I was able to access the troublesome footer and copy the long table that
got pasted in and put it back on the page, proper.

4. I looked up header / footer problems in an old copy of "Word 97
Annoyances" by Woody Leonhard and another author. They recommended deleting
all headers / footers first and then making sure all "Link to Previous"
settings were cleared.

5. Went to File > Page Setup > Payge Layout. Set Headers and footers to
Different odd and even and Different first page. Applied to entire document.

6. At the end of each chapter, on the even page, added an Odd page section
break. (Book was numbered continuously from chapter 1 (1, 2, 3, ...).

7. Added my page numbers in the footer. Added the book title to even page
headers, starting with chapter 1. Added chapter title to odd page headers in
each chapter. Set each new even page header in subsequent chapters to Link
to Previous. (Each ChapNum style is set to have a page break before.)

Everything works fine now and the book has been stable, with its headers and
footers.

I used to be pretty good at bookbuilding in Word but I haven't had to do it
in 5 years. Since then, I've been in doc. groups who used Frame or in the
past year since "going indie", I've been in start-ups where the focus has
been online help in various formats.

Ed

*******************

From: "Ed Marshall" <ed -dot- marshall -at- verizon -dot- net>
Subject: Even page footer problem in Word
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

All,

Here's probably the oddest Word problem I've ever encountered.

While the Word document I was working for a client was being updated for
content, it seemed to have lost its even page footers. The last version I
worked on had them and they appeared correctly.

I've tried pasting the current content into that old file but the even page
footer seems to disappear when I do that.

I think I know what happened, not how it happened or how to fix it.

The last person to work on it, ended up pasting the text on the first even
page of the main part of the book into the first even page footer.

So, the only thing that appears in the even page footer is the top margin of
the pasted object, which seems to be why I don't even see the footer
textbox. I researched yesterday and couldn't find any way you can delete
that textbox but my SME caught on to an oddity that led us to the current
diagnosis. If you set the view to Normal, you see that now huge even page
footer, which is outside the page dimensions, so I only see the top margin
of the pasted-in page in the footer.

Unfortunately, he seemed to paste it in as an object, not text, so I can't
select it to remove it.

I haven't figured out the quickest way to solve it.

Suggestions?

TIA

Ed Marshall