RE: Did I overreact?

Subject: RE: Did I overreact?
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

Kenneth Nuckols said,

> My take on this whole thread from the positive, negative, and
> indifferent experiences others have had working with recruiters is that
> it is nice to have a relationship with a recruiting firm at the time you
> are not actively seeking a new job or new contract (they keep you
> abreast of opportunities in the field) but when it comes time to make a
> job change, it seems you're almost always better off kicking the
> recruiter to the curb and approaching companies as an self-represented
> independent agent. This benefits you by negotiating the most money for
> your pocket directly with the employer. It also benefits the employer by
> avoiding interviews with every unsuitable candidate the recruiter trots
> out to them because they don't understand the needs of the company, the
> requirements of the position, and the qualifications of the candidates.

Seems to me that is shows the employer that you are willing to bend ethics
if a dollar is involved, and you are asking them to do the same. Most
recruiters, like most sales people, are not bottom feeders, but
responsible professionals. That recruiter may have worked hard to get an
opening in the company for you and he/she should be rewarded for their
efforts. In fact, in many cases, recruiting firms have an agreement with
a company to supply pre-screened resumes. That agreement usually states
that the company can hire a candidate directly for a fee. If your resume
was already submitted by the recruiter and you show up behind his/her
back, it's almost a certain guarantee that you will not get an interview
regardless of how much you show the company how they can save money by
hiring you directly if the company has a contract with the recruiting
firm. Furthermore, word gets around that you cannot be trusted which
impacts your ability to generate revenue as an employee or a contractor.
I'd say that if you don't want to use a recruiting firm, don't, but if you
do use one, don't screw them over, because it might hurt you more then it
will hurt them.

Al