RE: Modularization of Documentation

Subject: RE: Modularization of Documentation
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:38:54 -0400

Hi Tony,

I'll make a valiant effort not to get pulled into the endless debate
over what's "taboo" and what's not. I urge you to do the same.

If you have a better method that no one else in the whole wide world has
written about, it simply makes no sense not to write the book. You don't
know every tech writer in the world -- not to mention every developer,
editor, or manager of tech writers. All you know (all anyone can know)
is what you've been exposed to. Besides, valid and unique methods tend
to create their own markets -- think of the tech writers just starting
out in the U.S., the burgeoning field in India, etc. Many of these new
tech writers will be self-taught, i.e. not "poisoned" or influenced by
those of us who labor under superstition and the "t"-word. (How ironic,
the "t"-word has itself become a "t"-word.)

As an experienced writer with a clear idea of what you want to say, it
couldn't possibly take you so long to write the book that it wouldn't be
worth it. Think about the risk-reward balance here.

On the flip side, if you keep saying that you have a terrific method,
but no one will listen, no one will buy the book, etc., people might
leap to the unfortunate misunderstanding that you're bluffing.

Thanks,

Dan

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.