Converting embedded Word Images?

Subject: Converting embedded Word Images?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, b -dot- hennessey -at- att -dot- net
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:39:13 -0400

Bobbi wondered: <<... if anyone has had any success in copying .bmp from Word docs into an eps file that is editable? The .bmp files are embedded, not referenced and I do not have access to the original art.... I want to be able to make edits to the original picture (line art) and resave as an eps file.>>

The optimal solution, of course, is to ask for access to the original art. That would save you an enormous amount of grief. Once converted into bitmaps, you can't edit them in any useful way (e.g., correct typos).

I'm not sure why you want EPS; a .bmp file has lost all the information that would allow you to edit (for example) text and lines, and you'd have to use a bitmap editor such as Photoshop. Given that this is the case, any bitmap format would work; EPS offers no advantages that I'm familiar with.

Word is kind like a roach hotel for graphics: once they check in, they never leave. <g> Depending on your version of Word and what operating system you're using, you can sometimes get useful versions of the files by exporting the file (or "save as") to HTML. This extracts the graphics fairly painlessly (as .GIF files, I believe). But it doesn't always work.

www.geoff-hart.com