Re: numbering image/table captions with chapter numbers in ms wordwithout using built-headings

Subject: Re: numbering image/table captions with chapter numbers in ms wordwithout using built-headings
From: "peri jstar" <jstar99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>, Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com, louise -dot- r -dot- stevanovic -at- transport -dot- qld -dot- gov -dot- au, docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:28:05 -0500

Thanks everyone for your replies :) Gave me some ideas and I really
appreciate it. I think that SEQ and field /code tag solutions may come
closest to what I am looking for. The problem is that I didn't use Word's
built-in "chapter".

Unfortunately also, the listnum solution conflicts with my already outlined
headers built with styles.

See everything I had learned before was always about using styles for every
little thing and now, it seems as though these styles limit the formatting a
bit too much. That is unless you use the good ol' Microsoft built-in styles.
Every style in this document is custom so as to not affect a user's
individual normal.dot. So basically what I need is a way to have my image
and table captions automatically number themselves with a <chapter/section
number dot number of image/table = i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.1,
3.2, 3.3...>

Is there a way maybe that Word flags all tables and images that I don't know
about? That would be wonderful. Or a way to mark my own first level header
(which is the equivalent of my section/chapter number and title)?

You guys are great :) Thank you very much!

On 6/8/06, Jessica Weissman <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com> wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. If you mean having tables be
numbered as 1-1 for the first one in chapter 1 and 3-2 for the second one in
chapter 3, you should be able to use SEQ fields. Set up one sequence that
increments per chapter, and a second that increments per table or
figure. Use the /c switch with a SEQ field you don't want to increment (
i.e. for all the chapter number fields after the first one per
chapter). Use the /r switch on the first instance of the image/table number
in each chapter to reset it to 1.

Assuming that you call the chapter sequence chapter and the item sequence
item, the first label in a chapter would look like this: {SEQ chapter} -
{SEQ item/r 1}: My Item Title.

The second label in the chapter would look like this: {SEQ chapter /c} -
{SEQ item}: Another Item Title.

Look up SEQ in the Word help for more details.

- Jessica Weissman
Hillcrest Laboratories