RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing

Subject: RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing
From: "Yvette, Denoga" <Yvettedenoga -at- crimsonlogic -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:45:57 +0800

Here's a bit of perspective: in non-western countries commenting on
someone's perfume or body scent is a no-no. I have once worked with a
woman of which perfume was not her problem, but an extremely offensive
body scent that left a trail (and holding your nose would not help). I
could not tell her directly because it was considered "politically
incorrect" (believe it or not). Her countrymen seem to think other
people's noses are too sensitive. I had to ask to move to another desk
because majority of my co-workers were of the same nationality. I could
not even mention the name of this person to my manager.

I wish companies would be more enlightened that strong scents (perfume,
deodorant or body scent) can become a big issue to employees. For a
time, I could not concentrate on my work everytime she passed by. I
eventually left the office for other reasons, but I am thankful I don't
have to run into her again.

There should be some globally accepted HR policy or something on things
like these. Sounds harsh, but after what I went through, it is
definitely worth the trouble.

Yvette