RE: XyWrite (Was Re: John Sladek (was PK Dick))

Subject: RE: XyWrite (Was Re: John Sladek (was PK Dick))
From: <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:13:03 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: Janice Gelb

> Wow, this takes me right back!
> Xywrite was the first PC word processing program I ever used
> and I loved it until the bitter end, when I switched companies
> and wasn't allowed to use it any more.

It's amazing what strong emotions XyWrite tends to evoke (some folks REALLY hated it). Most who used it aren't particularly neutral on the subject (you never hear, "Oh yeah, XyWrite...I THINK I remember using that).

By the way, I still use XyWrite here at Mitchell. I don't use it as a word processor, I use it to translate ASCII text from one markup language to another...usually SGML to XPP (Xyvision). It has an unbelievable macro-writing ability. I should be using PERL or Omnimark instead, but I have such a large library of scripts...I'd really rather not rewrite them.

Brian Henderson
Data Composition
Mitchell Repair Information Co.
www.mitchell1.com