Re: Dropping the you? The Asian response to imperative voice.

Subject: Re: Dropping the you? The Asian response to imperative voice.
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:31:33 -0500

I would suggest that a good translation house would be aware of and accomodate those cultural sensitivities in their translation. Translations are never word-for-word translations... the translator must use some careful thought to make the words make sense to the audience. Otherwise, we could all be happy with machine translation (and we know it sure ain't ready for prime time). Part of the process of evaluating a translation provider would be to determine if they have an awareness of those cultural sensitivities and a standard approach to handling them. With a good translation provider, you can write in your own language using an approach that you believe is best for your primary audience and let the translation provider take care of communicating your message appropriately in other languages.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer