Re: Upper/lower case in heading

Subject: Re: Upper/lower case in heading
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:54:21 +1000

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

It appears to me (at least from here and not knowing the product
being described) that "might" and "may" are interchangeable and
one or the other should be used consistently (I don't have a personal
preference, just flip a coin).

"Might" and "may" should not be interchangeable.
One implies permission. To test, try to substitute
"might or might not" for "might." If the sentence
still makes sense, use "might." If not, use "may."
The examples are correctly worded:

>> -Broker Might Be Inadvertently Uninstalled
>> -Installation Directories May not Contain Spaces

In the second instance, the case is one of permission
(spaces are not allowed) so "may" is correct.

-- Janice