RE: re How do you differentiate commands, etc. in text? (Take II)

Subject: RE: re How do you differentiate commands, etc. in text? (Take II)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:27:19 -0500

Mark Levinson wrote:

> I think that besides uglifying the page, inline icons--
> at least if not accompanied by the command name-- fail
> to reinforce the vocabulary that we want the reader to
> internalize. If the user is accustomed to thinking not
> "Recalculate Right-Hand Column" but "orange squiggle
> that reminds me of my mother-in-law's hairdo," then the
> may be less than well prepared for other media where text
> must be used instead of the icon, or for communicating
> with other users.

Well put and a good example, Mark.

I don't read hieroglyphics, so I substitute words for inline icons as
I'm reading.

1. To see what your printout will look like, click the bald eagle's
head.

I'm using Outlook, and I just described an icon from my toolbar.
(Outlook gives you text when you mouse over the icon, but I'm pretending
I didn't read it.) In reality, the icon is supposed to be a piece of
paper with a corner folded over and a magnifying glass over it, but if
you don't give me the words "print preview" to associate with the icon,
I'll continue thinking of it as a bald eagle. Can I look up "bald eagle
for printing" in your index? If I tell my help desk that my computer
locked up when I clicked the bald eagle, will they know how to help me?

Give me WORDS. You can include an icon, too, but not as a substitute for
the word. Place the icon wherever you want to, as long as you're
consistent so I know where to find it if I need to know what it looks
like.

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.