Re: Standard Doc Review Cycle-Online/Print Help

Subject: Re: Standard Doc Review Cycle-Online/Print Help
From: "Gurpreet Singh" <gurpreet2311 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com, ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:42:36 +0900

Thanks a lot for the information, Ned and Geoff.

I got some good ideas about the whole process. Please find my comments inline.

Geoff,

Let me first thank you for the link to your article. The article was
great and it provided a much-awaited direction to my thoughts. Thanks
once again.

"I'm sure there are specific standards for specific industries, but
you'd have to name the actual industry you're working in to get
focused advice."

I work in Electronic Test and Measurement industry. However, my basic
interest is in a flexible review process for documentation, for both
print and online help. I'm concentrating not on the writing part but
on the review process; like peer review, technical review et al. Do we
have a formal process for this?

In addition, is 'document review cycle' industry dependent?

Ned,

Thanks a lot for the information. It really helped a lot. I tried
googling a lot but failed to get some real world processes. The
processes described are great, if we can follow them exactly in the
real world. Unfortunately, the gap between theories and realities
still exists.

Most of the listed processes are good but impossible to follow, partly
because reviewers have very limited time and we can't ask for more
than our share. Unfortunately, that share is very less as well and
which is why I want to create a process so that this time is used
effectively.

I thought to start with the standard processes first, and then keep
fine tuning those processes to fit my needs.

I really liked the doc freeze idea. I wonder if it is 100% effective
in my organization.

Thanks
Gurpreet