RE: Article: Document or else

Subject: RE: Article: Document or else
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Lou Quillio" <public -at- quillio -dot- com>, "Katie Kearns" <katie -dot- kearns -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:02:43 -0600

Lou Quillio wrote:

> Yet there are a few very big tyrannosaurs to re-educate. The people
> -- who form the market and express themselves through
> government -- will out. Just a question of how messy it'll be.

<snark>
Gee, Lou, I guess we should all be grateful that people like you (and
the Eurocrats in Brussels) are so smart that you know exactly how the
world should work. And you're so selfless and generous that you don't
mind speaking for "the people" and making all the decisions for the rest
of us. AAnd you're so pragmatic that you won't let old-fashioned ideas
like property rights stop you from forcing everyone to do it your way --
under penalty of fines, imprisonment, ... perhaps re-education?
</snark>

Katie, thank you very much for your wonderful remarks:

> If people don't like proprietary file formats, then they
> should choose a tool that doesn't use them. Don't legislate
> how people should make things.
> Especially since industry changes a heck of a lot faster than
> government does.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Richard

------