Version control for Office documents

Subject: Version control for Office documents
From: "Kate Stout" <KStout -at- bcgi -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:18:32 -0400

I've looked for such tools for many years, and haven't found them. In
the past, I've used whatever the source control tool the development
team is using, since there's already an existing knowledge, and often
some spare licenses.

The downside of this is that source control tools will treat word files
as binary files, and store the whole file for each change. This goes
back to the proprietary file format issue thread in a sense... As long
as a file format is opaque, there's no way to build such source control,
unless you are the owner of that file format.
If there are version control tools for office - I'd love to know more
about them.

Kate Stout

The information contained in this e-mail message and any
attachments is confidential, and is intended only for the use of
the party to whom it is addressed. This message and any attachments
herein are subject to scanning and may be monitored at any time for
review. If you are not the above-named intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Boston Communications
Group, Inc. immediately by replying to this message or by
telephoning (781) 904-5000, and destroy this message and its
attachments, without making any copy or distribution.