Re: What's a good versioning system for Office documents?

Subject: Re: What's a good versioning system for Office documents?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: alackerson <alackerson -at- msn -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:08:25 +0530

Thanks for the reply, Al.
This might not meet our requirements, though. What we're looking for
is a solution for a team of tech writers, who may choose to check out
one or more documents from the source-control repository to work on
them. If even one of the team members telecommutes or is otherwise
geographically distant from the others, control of who has the latest
version of which document becomes a major issue.
I should clarify here and state that for this project, the client has
had us split up monolithic single-file manuals into multiple chapter
files; several chapters will be shared between manuals, since they're
pretty identical. As an aside, the clients are also looking at
purchasing a conditional text plugin like Livelinx
(http://livelinx.com/contentmanagement/conditional-text.html ) to
maintain an even finer control over what content is exposed in each
chapter file - based on which manual it is included into.

This setup will cause enough complexity that using Word's own
versioning will probably help make a big mess of things if one person
slips up on the coordinated handling of the docs. That's why a
centralized Source Control system seemed like a good idea, since it
would at the very least make sure nobody would mistakenly begin
editing a file someone else was still working on.

It's beginning to look like there *is* no such animal, either in the
Microsoft stable, or out. Which means we could just as well plump for
any SCCS system out there, and use it as a file-lock tool.

Regards,
Ed.

On 7/8/06, alackerson <alackerson -at- msn -dot- com> wrote:

I use Word's Version and Track Changes functions. They're built in and do
the job handily. Periodically (at those delta points), I go in and clean
out most of the versions, and start with a fresh document from that point.
If I need to show the difference between a much earlier version, I can do a
document compare. Perhaps not the best system in the world, but if you have
a tight budget, it's as inexpensive as you can get.