RE: Getting into technical writng

Subject: RE: Getting into technical writng
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: joep95 -at- comcast -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:09:19 -0400

Depending on how badly you need a steady job at the moment, I broke into my
technical writing job by going through a temp agency that placed office
help. I asked to be placed in companies that had technical writers or would
have a need for a technical writer. I was a receptionist at a Web Hosting
company and about a month into it, their technical writer quit and while
they were looking for more experienced writers, I offered to help out by
doing a little technical writing while working in the reception area until a
new writer came along.

It worked out great for both of us, they got a $12 an hour tech writer for a
couple of months and I got experience. In the end I was also hired as a
technical writer when they decided they didnt want to lose me. The only
moral of this story is that your first technical writer gig may come in a
very off the wall manner.

Good luck, you will love it...it is a great career!

Melissa

From: Joe Pisko <joep95 -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Getting into technical writng