RE: Freelancing Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Freelancing Technical Writing
From: "Andrea C. Carrero" <andrea -at- wordtex -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:20:39 -0400

No flame here, either. However, I don't think that Anuj's message was
"perfectly clear." (No offense meant, Anuj.)

He wrote: "I am interested in working as a freelancer/contracter for
technical writing/content development/instructional design. Kindly, let me
know the companies who are willing to provide such jobs."

You could take that either way--companies that place TWs in contract jobs or
companies that directly contract TWs for writing projects.

This is a hot topic with a lot of feelings, primarily with folks in the U.S.
And maybe there's no specific answer other than "The World Is Flat." I
believe it does make consultants even that more cautious of providing
competitive information to anyone, whether they are in the U.S. or elsewhere
in the world. We're all fighting to make a living now that the competition
is more global and there are countries where the cost of living is
exceedingly lower than the U.S. or Europe, for example.

So, as Al said, I'll help out with tools, techniques, resources, etc., when
I can. But I draw the line at giving away competitive intelligence. Business
is business. And like others, I have bills to pay, which I can't do if I
don't have clients.

~Andrea~
www.wordtex.com
Business/corporate communication and technical documentation
solutions--where individual performance contributes to team success