Re: Usability through Fun

Subject: Re: Usability through Fun
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:05:50 -0400

On 7/21/06, Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

> We say over and over that our writing should not use humor as it can
> be misinterpreted and takes the chance of being offensive to those
> who might not see the humor.

Provided you know your audience, I mean *really* know your audience,
why not?

I agree about the *really* knowing your audience part. My absolute
favorite tech publisher, Manning (http://www.manning.com) has the
following as a footnote in their book, Ant in Action:

"Ant is not at all ashamed to be bi-slashual, and is actually quite
proud of it!"

This is quite likely to offend at least a significant subset of the
readership of this manual, for its play on words. Manning doesn't
usually use a lot of humor in their books. Not like for Dummies books
do, anyway. So I was surprised that this made it through their
editors.

Be careful, whirlers!

--
-David Castro