Re: Survey Question

Subject: Re: Survey Question
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Diana Ost" <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:10:38 +0530

On 7/26/06, Diana Ost <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com> wrote:

I have a question for the group:

How many of you have been asked to document a software application, but
were not expected to need access to that software?

I was once asked to document a COM API, given only the DLLs, a couple of
rudimentary text files that showed what the client expected as output and
ASP code that interacted with the DLLs and provided a web interface. No
source code, no design spec, nothing else. I was expected to complete this
(external) project by playing with the UI, noting the calls made in the
invoked ASP code and grokking the SQL Server database to see what had
changed as a result of my last action.
I started out by writing a VB app that loaded each DLL in turn, grabbed a
definition of each API call and dumped it to my Word document along with
major chunks of the text block for each API call. Got that working, and was
just starting the really dirty work of grokking ASP and database when the
project was called off. Despite my wasted coding time, I was actually
thankful :-)

Regards,
Ed.