Re: Estimating time to author software help manual

Subject: Re: Estimating time to author software help manual
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "Jennifer C. Bennett" <fritillary -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:38:01 -0400

I'll repeat an algorithm I've probably posted here before, that was
given to me by a friend: Divide the task into pieces you understand.
Evaluate the time and other resources for each piece. Add 'em all up.
Resist the temptation to round the number down because it looks too
big. Instead multiply by your favorite fudge factor, usually between
1.5 and 3.

Others will have good numbers on pages per day and all that. I don't.

Jennifer C. Bennett wrote:

Hello,

I've been researching ways to estimate the time it will take to write a software user manual. I thought I'd ask this question here on TECHWR_L