Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation

Subject: Re: Crazy situation: Customer responsible for translation
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Trina Pearce <tpearce -at- ubiquitysoftware -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:07:33 -0400

Trina,

I was in a similar situation once. We were trying to distribute our application overseas, and we signed a deal with an in-country software distributor that required them to translate not only all the documentation and marketing material as part of their license to distribute and resell the application, but the actual software as well. Maybe this isn't an exact parallel, but it's at least close.

We sent them our source doc files which were in Word and Doc-to-Help at the time. We also sent them the resource files for the application. They (I'm assuming here) found an in-country company that did the actual translation, and it worked out pretty well.

So, all is not lost.

IMHO, I'd plan on sending them your source files. If - after sufficient shock is registered - your company decides to do such a thing despite the potential risks (they could steal your code etc.), then be a good soldier and be prepared to send them what they would need to do the job. That means source code, not PDFs. It also means that you'll need to keep them apprised of future changes, so start keeping track of that sort of thing as well.

Good luck!

My 2¢,

John Garison

Trina Pearce wrote:

My company has decided that we will not translate our docs. Our
customers will be responsible.
So now, our doc team is faced with the task of determining what type of
files to provide our customers with so they can have the documentation
translated.