Re: Wiki as a documentation delivery system? (take II)

Subject: Re: Wiki as a documentation delivery system? (take II)
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 21:18:44 -0400

Char James-Tanny wrote:
> Then set stronger permissions; make it so only folks in a specific
> group can edit those pages. (If all pages require those kinds of
> permissions, then I'd think that something other than a wiki should be
> used.)

Char's exactly right on both counts. The notional "Wiki ethic" is
one thing, but Wiki applications can be deployed for all sorts of
clever purposes.

Veering from pure Wiki politics with ACLs and moderation queues is
no sin.

MediaWiki in particular is hugely powerful. I can think of no
richer way to quickly deploy a flexible content repository in a
networked environment.

Remember that the content repository may have different
constituencies. Maybe we're using a Wiki app to inspire a
controlled, dispersed group of content creators, who want to put up
and reorganize pages quickly while maintaining global search, easy
formatting, version control, and multiple output transformations on
demand -- but aren't soliciting content from, say, customers.

In that case it's a Wiki for insiders and a website for outsiders.
Still a Wiki. Just depends on where you sit.

LQ