Re: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign

Subject: Re: User Guides in Quark Express or InDesign
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Stefan, Tonya" <Tonya -dot- Stefan -at- cardinal -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:26:22 -0600

I've used both Quark and InDesign for large documentation projects.

The applications are basically similar in capabilities and if you know
one, a switch to the other is not difficult. I prefer InDesign because
I find that InDesign is much more powerful when it comes to displaying
graphics.

The biggest differences between the two are:

1--Price--Quark is much more expensive for, in my opinion, a slightly
less powerful product.

2--Creative Suite--InDesign is an Adobe product and works with other
Adobe products splendidly. I found that Quark was sometimes picky if I
designed a graphic in Photoshop or Illustrator and then tried to
import it into Quark.

The biggest drawback to both programs is that their table features are
just not as good as other programs. In fact, I specifically design my
documents with as few tables as possible because the table features
aren't as strong as I would like them. I also tend to draw the table
by hand if I really want a nice looking table.

Dave