Re: Warning text

Subject: Re: Warning text
From: "Paul Goble" <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:38:12 -0600

Although you may not be able to FIND the published standard,
it's safe to infer that there IS one:

Standards bodies keep a short leash on their expensive, copyrighted
standards, so the standards often fail to show up in search engines.

This partly explains why, in many cases, industry common practice
fails to follow the standards. It's so much easier to do what
everyone else is doing, or what the company lawyers vetted a few
decades ago, than to fork over a pocketful of euros or dollars only to
find out that the standard doesn't even address the question.

Here's a personal example. I've been curious why many manuals call the
exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle symbol the "Instruction Manual Symbol,"
even though third-party summaries of the relevant standards call it
the "Safety Alert Symbol." The standards might answer the question,
but I'm not going to pay USD $40.00 for SAE J284 DEC02 to find out.
And it is likely that ANSI Z535.4 ($46.00) and ISO 3864 ($87.00) also
speak to the issue of how to describe the symbol.

In my opinion, safety-related standards should be freely available to
all who need them.

--
Paul Goble
Colorado Springs, Colorado