Re: Run WinOS (and FM) on a MAC OS X

Subject: Re: Run WinOS (and FM) on a MAC OS X
From: Samuel C Kennedy/AC/VCU <skennedy -at- vcu -dot- edu>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:20:12 -0400

You can do this in a few ways. The first is Bootcamp which is nice but
overall a bit of a pain to have to reboot you computer to run Windows.
Parallels is available now for Mac OS X and does let you run Windows in a
either a window or in fullscreen mode. It works very, very well. We have
a Oracle base app that is pretty picky and it runs like a dream in it.
VMWare's product was announced today and will be out in the coming weeks
as a beta. Codeweavers is developing a product called Crossover that
would run some Windows applications without a copy of Windows on your Mac.
Unlike VMWare and Parallels which run a copy of Windows on your Mac and
should run most any Windows application, Crossover has to be configured
for an application before it will run. They plan to have most of the MS
apps ready when they go to beta later this month as well as others. I use
Parallels but I am really interested in the Codeweavers product. Here are
some links for more information:

Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/
Codeweavers: http://www.codeweavers.com/
VMWare: http://www.vmware.com/

All must be running on an Intel Mac in order to work. Older Macs with
PowerPC chips will not work with these solutions.

Sam

Sam Kennedy
Assistant Director, User Services
VCU Technology Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
P.O. Box 843069
701 West Broad
Technology Administration Building
Richmond, Virginia 23284
(804) 828-0522
Visit us at www.ts.vcu.edu
message.

John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+skennedy=vcu -dot- edu -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
08/07/06 05:04 PM

Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c"
cc

Subject
Re: Run WinOS (and FM) on a MAC OS X

The difference is that with VMWare, you can run your Mac OS, run a
windows window, run a window with linux, maybe UNIX, and have them
all running together and dragging/dropping between all open
windows...no rebooting. I haven't seen it yet and not running Mac, I
couldn't if I wanted to, but that's the word.

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jposada01%40yahoo.com

> To subscribe, send a blank email to
>
> Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as skennedy -at- vcu -dot- edu -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/skennedy%40vcu.edu