Re: Run WinOS (and FM) on a MAC OS X

Subject: Re: Run WinOS (and FM) on a MAC OS X
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Elizabeth J Allen <eja -at- samurai -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:17:39 -0400

Elizabeth J Allen wrote:
> My MacBook Pro (Intel-based) can run Windows in dual-boot mode, but you
> have to supply your own copy of Windows. I prefer Parallels Desktop
> (http://www.parallels.com/) which allows me to run Windows as just
> another application, and just as fast as my PC would run it.

This capability is likely to become native to OS X ... that is,
native virtualization on the OS X desktop of a user-supplied Windows
install, leveraging one of the Intel cores on demand.

You may not even have to supply Windows: Apple may become a Windows
reseller and bundle it. Not crazy, and not an original thought of mine:

I use VMWare and FreeNX (forget VNC) every day on three platforms.
Both smoke.

Know how Google distributes Google Earth to desktop Linux users?
They ship it with a customized version of WINE. Just works. Ain't
beta. Available now. I'm running it now.

MS makes the big money from Office, not Windows. Office won't hold,
and MS ain't dumb -- nor is it a private concern. Look for MS to
preserve value and forestall the inevitable by morphing toward media
and games while carefully managing the demise of Windows and Office
themselves, as we know them today. Even if they're making less
money next year (hasn't happened yet for MS), they're good if the
bleeding isn't in tera-gallons per minute and they have a plan.

The plan, I expect, is to have a way to pivot completely away from
these once-dominant products/platforms and still be huge -- though
they'll certainly not hasten the day.

Yes, team, it's that big and that now. Will happen over the next
two to three years. Your kids will have ordinary home directories
(no need for the candy-coated 'My Documents', which is the same
thing, except that all the `Documents and Settings` stuff will live
there too, as it should), and you'll be root -- which you should
always have been, but aren't on Windows boxes. Everybody's root in
Windows World. That's why it breaks so badly.

Imagine it: kids can't just install new system-scope programs,
willy-nilly? How will we ever survive the end of that absurdity?

We'll survive it just fine. Bill knows it. He's not dumb.

LQ