Re: FW: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?

Subject: Re: FW: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Humphries, Ola" <Ola -dot- Humphries -at- energy -dot- sungard -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:08:24 +0530

Beautiful explanation, thanks!
One question: what about using other image manipulation tools instead
of Paint - MS Photo Editor/Photoshop/GIMP/GIMPShop/ACDSee (have I got
that right?) or others? Common sense says they're probably equivalent,
but I thought I better ask, since I just got bitten by JPG! :)

Thanks,
Ed.

On 8/9/06, Humphries, Ola <Ola -dot- Humphries -at- energy -dot- sungard -dot- com> wrote:

Screenshots should always be in a bitmap format (bmp, gif, and png are
bitmap formats), as they are originally bitmaps anyway. Use jpgs for photos
or other similar graphics.

Here's how to make a png graphic to insert into FrameMaker or RoboHelp:

First, use the Control Panel > Display function to set your screen image
display for the graphics and resolution you like best.

Once you have populated the image you need, grab it by clicking the Print
Screen button on the keypad.

Paste the image into Paint and trim it to include only those objects you
actually want. You can then save it directly into a png format, though this
may sometimes change the color of the image. I think that Paint has gotten
more sophisticated as of late and it may be that you can save directly out
of Paint into a png. Try downsizing to a 256 colored bmp first to see how
that affects the color.

I always save it as a bmp file, then open this file in PhotoImpact to
downsize it to 256 colors and then save as a png file from there. If you're
sure you won't need the color, you could experiment with reducing the color
range even further to get a smaller image size.

Save the file with a consistent name in your graphics directory and from
there import by reference into Frame or paste directly into Word or use with
RoboHelp.

This method is a simple one and uses readily available tools. The pngs
produced are absolutely the smallest graphics images possible and still
retain high printable quality that also works well when the documents are
made into PDFs.

Ola Humphries
SunGard Energy Systems, Houston, TX