RE: Breaking into the tech writing job market

Subject: RE: Breaking into the tech writing job market
From: "Mike Schmidt" <mschmidt -at- weathercentral -dot- tv>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:28:44 -0500

Alright. I surrender. Whatever.

I have had four jobs in two industries. In all cases, I've had a variety
of readers; recording engineers, disc jockeys, radio/tv people, etc.
Some are highly trained, some aren't. In fact, particularly in the audio
and disk jockey area, many seem to get into those fields indirectly,
without formal training.* That said, they may not have the advantage of
electronics schooling and the like. Still, they may find themselves
tweaking a piece of equipment.

I myself have no electronics training other than the hands-on stuff I've
learned by being around the stuff we build. Therefore, I write it as
though I'm writing it for myself. Sixth grade level is your choice of
wording, not saying, "See the mixer, see the pretty lights. Blink,
lights, blink."

But is MAY involve very simple language regarding what color probe to
put into what color jack and which knob to turn, including very plain
and simple illustrations.

Regardless of my wording in this forum, I have yet to be told by a
customer that I insulted his or her intelligence. At least, not in my
writing.

* even the weather people have formal training in weather (not all of
them) but the use of computers is only now coming to be part of their
education. I deal with lots of guys that used printed maps and grease
pencils on tv long before there were computers, so their experience is
waaaay down the ladder. The younger ones, right out of college, are much
more computer literate - can't help it these days - so it's not as much
as a problem, but there are plenty of people in this industry that need
very simple instructions.

I'm not writing to doctors or rocket scientists.