RE: Breaking into the tech writing job market

Subject: RE: Breaking into the tech writing job market
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "'Vincent Marianiello'" <vincent -dot- marianiello -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:15:42 -0400

Usually through an internship.

> I have a Masters in English, but apparently that doesn't mean much to
> potential employers.

Did you study technical writing in your master's program, Vincent?

It seems that there's no such thing as
> an entry level
> tech writing job (all the job listings I've seen demand 5+ years of
> experience) so how in the world would someone, fresh out of
> college, embark
> on a tech writing career?

Internships are frequently equivalent to entry-level jobs.

> I'm sure this may appear as a rather dumb question but, being
> new to the
> scene, I haven't a clue.

Didn't your school offer assistance to you?

The headhunters I've talked to make
> it sound like
> one needs a science degree to be a technical writer;

They are mistaken.

firms
> want engineers
> who write, not writers who write about engineering. I've read in other
> places that a good way is to do pro bono work for
> non-profits. Any other
> advice, suggestions, ideas?

What skills do you have that would make you suitable to work as a technical
writer?

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com