Re: Podcasts for Customer Support

Subject: Re: Podcasts for Customer Support
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:41:39 -0400

I agree with Beth on stilted scripts. Storyboarding is necessary for any
script, but I also suggest checking out successful training programs....John
Cleese comes to mind....to get an idea of how to write the narrative to keep
it interesting while your educating.
Beth is also correct in stating that the younger generation is more in tune
with video or animation than we were. (We, in this case, is anyone over
50.) However, podcasts will not replace manuals. There is a limit to how
much material can be comprehended in each podcast. But, they can do
something that cannot be done effective via manuals, and that is incorporate
marketing and training into each podcast. I know some of technical writers
break out in hives when the word Marketing is mentioned in their midst, but
the more we move away from traditional delivery methods, the more the line
blures between training, technical writing, marketing and sales.
I like the idea of interaction between the corporation and the user.
Instead of calling customer or field service, you can interact via
videophone. The user can show the service person the problem, and they can
show them the solution. It isn't a reality yet, but the technology is
available.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang