RE: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!

Subject: RE: For those who think punctuation matters: validation!
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Jane Credland" <circe -at- lmi -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:12:11 -0500

The additional comma effectively creates a non-restrictive clause. That
allows the relevant part of the sentence to read, from an interpretive
point of view, as if the clause set apart by commas were not there. Like
this: "shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date
it is made...unless and until terminated by one year prior notice in
writing by either party."

The comma does matter, but John's right that the sentence is written
poorly in the first place if it's susceptible to this kind of ambiguity
and misconstruction.

Hindsight, as they say....