Maintaining COTS documentation

Subject: Maintaining COTS documentation
From: Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:10:48 -0700 (PDT)

I'm working on a multi-vendor, multi-platform system and trying to write a sys config and a sysops manual.

In some cases, we have a 5-10 line diff from the manufacturer's own installation or configuration information.

So far the people on the project have been cloning the source information (into MS Word), then editing it to make it specific for our systems.

I'm the first writer hired to buld two fairly massive manuals out of all this stuff.

Should I just walk away?

(It's a bit overwhelming.)

Peter Sturgeon