Re: looking for feedback re: search engine for uncompiled HTML help

Subject: Re: looking for feedback re: search engine for uncompiled HTML help
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: CRoeder -at- Primavera -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:34:17 -0400

The way you said it is exactly how Deva assigns its weighting: the number of occurrences of the search term in the file.

I have been an avid Deva Search user for years, too, and have been looking as well for a more robust solution (specifically, one that supported double byte unicode).

I haven't found one. There are lots of near misses, but there's always something that just won't fit.

If anyone has any alternatives, I'd love to know about them.

John Garison

CRoeder -at- Primavera -dot- com wrote:

For those who are also HATT members, please excuse this cross-posting.
I received only one reply, suggesting FAR, and our team would like to find
out what other tools the community might be using.

The original HATT post.....
We use Dreamweaver to develop HTML Help files for one of our Web apps. For several years, we have been using Deva Search, but recently have been asked to look into a more "robust" alternative. We have received some feedback that the results relevancy/list order is less than ideal. Of course, we realize that this depends on the nature of the search criteria as well as how Deva works. A bit of research on search engines indicates that there is much variance in how search engines rank results. We aren't sure exactly how Deva weights results, but number of occurrences of a term within a file seems to be important. I garnered a few suggestions on search engines from a list member privately (thanks!) but would be interested to find out how others are providing Search for uncompiled HTML Help. TIA, Catherine Roeder

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as john -at- garisons -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/john%40garisons.com